Last week I was working on a set of lemon recipe images and decided to shoot a small series on lemon curd. Starting with a making shot, which I also decided to shoot overhead. As well as an eating shot, which I challenged myself to shoot with two totally different lighting set up. Lighting 1. was to be a cosy comfy rustic feel and lighting 2. a bright cheery morning shot. I discovered that Lurpac butter and lemon curd survive really well under studio lights.
When I am asked to shoot curry I worry a little, sometime the curry itself lacks colour and texture, especially if it’s a Korma. Luckily the curry I had to work with was a Tikka Masala. Working with only the quantity of meat and veg in the dish we lift them up to bring them to surface to add definition and to help make to food easily recognisable. Propping curries is one of my favourite food styling jobs, adding to breads, crunching popadoms, squeezing limes and sprinkling herbs and spices about. Beautiful shot, I’m so happy with the ways these turned out.
I’m going to try and start posting a little more behind the scenes because when people see my set and then the shot on my screen they really love seeing the difference between the reality and the final shot. So here’s a fish shot I’ve been working on, the brief was to have an outside setting so I aimed for a beach feel.
We have an ever growing collection of work top surfaces to shoot on, some are made out of old bits of flooring, some we have aged ourselves and other we’ve bought from reclamation yards. The collection has been stacking up in the studio and getting rather dangerous so our set builder kindly build us a large racking unit for everything to stack in neatly however we still had our smaller surface resting up against the walls. So I was absolutely delighted today when first thing he brought in a fabulous create he’d made and he had stencilled our food studio logo on it… I was such a happy girl!!
I’ve been working on a Halal meat shoot and needed to come up with some ideas on how to present chicken legs and a whole chicken. I knew immediately which board/surface I wanted to use – it’s one that chef had made for me out of an old pallet and I wanted to show the chicken in the pans they have been cooked in. I’m really pleased with the way the shots turned out and have added them straight into my portfolio.